Aid and Scholarships
April 12, 2017
February 03, 2017
January 26, 2017
- More News
Helping Keep Education Affordable
Hargrave is committed to an effort to keep education as affordable as possible for each family. Utilizing the School & Student Service (SSS) Financial Aid Application through the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), we do our best to meet families’ needs. To apply for any scholarships, please visit http://www.sssbynais.org and complete the online application. You will need to complete the Personal Financial Statement (PFS) and submit the application fee for consideration. Hargrave does not offer any fee waivers for the financial aid application. Scholarships and Aid are only available for the regular academic year; no scholarships or aid is given for the summer program. Post Graduate Basketball students may apply for athletic scholarships only through the Post Graduate Basketball Office. If you have any questions about the application, please feel free to contact the SSS Helpline, toll-free, at 866-387-2601.
Hargrave Military Academy admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to the students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other school-administered programs.
- Information on Hargrave Scholarships and Discounts is included in the application package.
- Scholarships are awarded on a first come, first-serve basis, and the student must be accepted in order to receive any dollars.
- After applications for aid and scholarships are received, members of the Financial Aid Committee will review and make recommendations to the President for final approval.
- The school administration reserves the right to limit the number of scholarships awarded based on the amounts of funds available each year.
- All students are required to reapply for scholarship consideration annually.
- Financial need is not used to determine an applicant’s eligibility for admissions.
- Applicants must submit their enrollment deposit within 14 days of the scholarship notification letter, if they have not already done so, in order to receive funds. If the deposit is not received within the allotted time, the financial aid and scholarship monies will be rescinded.
- The awarding of financial aid is confidential.
- The PFS is required by every 7th to 12th grade and Post-Graduate applicant requesting aid and scholarships from Hargrave Military Academy (after November 1, 2010).
Available Merit-Based Scholarships
The Honors Scholarship (Up to $2,000 for boarding students, $1,000 for day students): The Honors Scholarship is available to students in grades 7 through 12 who have earned a grade point average of 3.0 or above and/or have scored in the 90th percentile or above in math, reading and language arts in a nationally recognized standardized test within two years of their application to Hargrave. Families must provide all pertinent documentation at the time of their Financial Aid application submission.
The Keesee Scholarship (Up to $5,000 for boarding students, $2,500 for day students): The Keesee Foundation and Hargrave Military Academy maintain a covenant to provide scholarships to Hargrave Cadets. Under the terms of the covenant, the Keesee is awarded to selected individuals by Hargrave Military Academy. In order to be in consideration for the Keesee Scholarship, the following criteria must be met and maintained:
- The student must be a resident of Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina.
- The student must be a rising 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grader.
- The student must maintain a “C” average. If not maintained, the student will not be eligible for any future Keesee scholarships.
- The award is allocated as needed, up to $5,000 for boarding students and $2,500 for day students.
- If a student withdraws or is dismissed from Hargrave Military Academy prior to the end of the school year, the entire grant must be returned to Hargrave.
- The recipient is required to submit a “Thank You” letter to the Foundation within one month of acceptance of the scholarship. The address will be provided after the scholarship has been accepted.
Athletic Scholarships: High school students are NOT eligible for athletic scholarships.
Post Graduate Basketball: Students participating in Postgraduate Basketball may only apply for an athletic scholarship through the Postgraduate Basketball Office, by following the above mentioned process.
Available Need-Based Scholarships
Hargrave Leadership Scholarship: The Hargrave leadership scholarship is awarded to families in need of financial assistance, and varies greatly for each applicant. The amount will be determined by the Financial Aid and Scholarship Committee. The committee takes into account family need, school involvement and personal character when determining awards.
Families applying for tuition discounts do not need to apply through SSS, but they must alert the Financial Aid and Scholarship Committee of their qualification and provide all necessary documents in order to receive the discount.
Active Duty/Retired Military Discount: Students who's legal guardian is Active Duty or Retired Military may receive up to a $1,000 discount. Proper identification and/or form DD2-14 will be required to receive this discount.
Church Matching Discount: Students who are members of a church willing to provide monetary assistance may receive a matching grant up to $500.
Family Discount: Families that have more than one student attending Hargrave Military Academy will receive a 15% tuition discount for each additional student.
Legacy Discount: Students whose parent or grandparent attended Hargrave Military Academy will receive a 10% tuition discount.
Ministerial Discount: Students of ordained ministers will receive a $500 tuition discount.
Educational loans are an outstanding way of helping offset education-related costs. Unlike the scholarships and discounts listed above, a loan must be repaid as per the guidelines of the individual vendor.
Sallie Mae K-12 Family Education Loan: Hargrave’s school code is 601711. For more information, please visit the following website: https://www.salliemae.com/student-loans/private-school-loan/
Your Tuition Solution: For more information, please visit the following website: https://secure.yourtuitionsolution.com/
Other Tuition Incentives
Tuition for Life: Hargrave is one of the only schools in the country to offer families a “Tuition for Life” program. Students will keep their current tuition rate for the duration of their Hargrave career as long as they attend continuously and the enrollment deposit for the upcoming year is paid by May 10th of each year. Cadets are automatically enrolled in this program if the enrollment deposit is received by the deadline.
Parent Referral Incentive Program: Hargrave offers a tuition discount of $1,000 for each new enrolled boarding student that a current family refers ($500 for each new enrolled day student), provided the referring family stays in good standing with the school. For second semester boarding enrollees, there will be a $500 tuition discount; for second semester day student enrollees there will be a $250 discount.
The process is simple:
- Reach out to friends and family that have a child who meets Hargrave’s standards and would be a positive contributor to the Corps.
- Share your positive experience with the school and encourage the new prospective family to reach out to the Admissions department.
- If the new prospective family chooses to apply, there will be a section on the application regarding a family referral- this section must be filled out to include your name in order to receive credit.
- If the new family elects to enroll their son and they remain in good standing, the tuition discount will be applied to your final payment of the current school year!
Some important items of note:
- The family referral section on the application MUST be completed at the time of submission. No retroactive credits will be awarded.
- Credit will be issued on the final payment of the current school year, and the new student must remain in good standing.
- This is a ONE TIME tuition discount, and will not roll over into future years.
- Immediate family members do not qualify for a credit.
- Saving the best for last: The limit for the number of credits one family can receive is 30, which would result in a $30,000 tuition discount for the current year. Get out there and start spreading the word!
- For more information, please contact Hargrave Admissions at 800-432-2480 or email [email protected].
CONTACT THE HARGRAVE ADMISSIONS TEAM!
Director of Enrollment Management