A program for those with High School Diplomas
Many families consider a “post-graduate” (grade 13) year at Hargrave. These families fall into 3 broad categories: basketball players looking for a D1 or D2 scholarship, students applying for the United States Military Academy (West Point) or United States Naval Academy (Annapolis), and (pure) academic post-graduates seeking a period of discipline, structure, and order prior to launching college.
Although each post-grad cadet imagines different options after a year of Hargrave, all are focused on being in college the following year. Our academic program is designed to provide each category with the foundational knowledge to be successful at the next level. This starts with a candid assessment of the student’s knowledge and confidence and the creation of a schedule that will meet that student’s present and future needs.
College credits through Dual Enrollment and AP Courses
Hargrave Military Academy is partnered with Richard Bland College of William and Mary for its Dual Enrollment (DE) program. The partnership allows Hargrave upperclassmen and postgraduates the ability to take Hargrave college-level courses for both college- and high-school credit.
Dual enrollment courses at Hargrave are taught by qualified Richard Bland College of William and Mary adjunct faculty members. Cadets pre-qualify for the DE option by their demonstrated academic performance and by the recommendation of their instructor. Dual enrollment offers participating Cadets an excellent start on their college education. Benefits include the following:
- College transfer credit and grades for the DE course.
- Establishing a college transcript to transfer to colleges.
- Hargrave’s transcripts used to support college and scholarship applications and for graduation reflect that the Cadet’s enrollment in a college-level DE course.
- Enrolling in college-credit courses is advantageous in applying to selective colleges and universities.
- DE courses give Cadets a head start on their college graduation requirements.
- Hargrave’s agreement with Richard Bland College of William and Mary includes a waiver of tuition and registration fees
- Dual Enrollment Courses also meet Hargrave graduation requirements.
Richard Bland College of William and Mary courses and credits currently approved for Hargrave Cadets on campus:
- ENGL 101 - Writing and Research, 3 credit hours
- ENGL 102 - Introduction to Literary Genres, 3 credit hours
- CHEM 101/L - General Chemistry I with Lab, 4 credit hours
- CHEM 102/L - General Chemistry II with Lab, 4 credit hours
Advanced Placement courses are another option for Hargrave Cadets. AP courses give Cadets the experience of taking college-level courses while earning a high school credit. Successful completion of the AP Exam may result in the awarding of college credits. Hargrave’s current AP course offerings include include the following:
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Physics I
- AP United States History
- AP Chemistry
Cadets who demonstrate strength in other subject areas may request an AP Exam by special permission.